Tuesday, April 13, 2010

I'm getting so close!! Only one week and 4 days!! I don't know how I feel about it. I'm excited...especially because my parents will be here to meet me at the end this year! I'm nervous...I'm nervous that I won't get a better time than last year, or even that I'll get the same time...because the goal after all is to always strive for improvement. I'm nervous I'm going to trail so far behind Mal that I'll feel discouraged...even though I know going into it that she is a much better and faster runner than me. I'm nervous that I'm going to get so little sleep the night before because the Duni's are throwing a party at their house. But really...right now I mostly feel indifferent. I am excited for the pressure of training to be over, however I'm nervous that I'm going to slack off...because I already feel myself starting to slack. I have consistently been running for the past 3 1/2 months. What will it all be for if I don't keep up with it?? I know that I will continue to run, because the bottom line is that I actually LIKE to run...it'll just be nice to have a few other options (my 30 day shred video, my Total Body Conditioning classes, spinning in my mornings). I'm also anxious to plan accordingly to get back to weight lifting so I can tone my arms a little bit before Mandy's wedding.

My biggest concern right now is finding a 12 mile trail to run this weekend. I've been doing my long runs at home for the past FOUR weeks now...and we have a great 5.5 mile loop near my house that's perfect for training. But this weekend I'll actually be in NY and need to find a place to run. The obvious place would be Central Park...but I really don't want to have to come into the city again on Sunday (I'm coming in to work an event on Saturday night already) AND ANNNNNDDDD the LIRR isn't running to the city this weekend from my house because of track work being done, so it's doubly hard to get in and out of the city. 
I'm gonna miss these good old cement kilns that I pass on my trail in PA:
Anyway, onto today's run: I'm still sore from Sunday...my legs are just a little bit tight. I  was supposed to do 5 miles today, but I was on the treadmill cause it was kind of crummy and cold outside, plus I've been having total GMA and Today Show withdrawal lately. I ended up doing some speed training runs, partly to keep things interesting, partly because it's easier to speed train on a treadmill and I figured I'll prob. be back outside tomorrow, and partly because I wanted to mess with my metabolism since I've gained back the 2 pounds I *thought I lost. So perhaps I'll do some speed training outside again tomorrow, but I will def. be doing 5 miles to make up for not doing the full 5 today. Plus, it's supposed to be gorgeous tomorrow!

Miles Run today: 4
Total Miles Run for 2010: 245.25

Sunday, April 11, 2010
I have lots to say about today's run: OK so today I got to run with Ben and Mal which was a real treat for me. We had been out at a bar until 1:30ish last night, went to bed at 2:30 and got up at 8:30 to run. I was NOT looking forward to this. Anyway, I was pumped to run with the two of them on the gorgeous Ironton Rail Trail that I've come to know and love over the past few weeks.  I think it was within the first mile where I said "I'm running with REAL RUNNERS!!!! I feel like a real runner!!!" Well, I kept up with them fine in the beginning, but I slowly started to trail juuuust behind them. Which...in all honesty was better for me anyway because I could kind of get in my "zone" and run "with" them but not "with" them, and not feel pressured to talk which I just cannot do while running. However...my good old friend the Side Sticker crept in, (and I didn't even eat breakfast!!) and I had to take a quick break to monitor my breathing. Well that was it for me...just a 20 second break to breath put me far enough behind that I just couldn't catch up.  I ran at a reasonable distance behind them for the rest of the loop...about another 3 miles or so. They were the carrots dangling in front of me to keep me going though..and even though I felt like I was running at snails pace compared to them...I actually was keeping really great time. They doubled back to me for the last mile of the first loop (mile 4.5 to 5.5) and we ran that to the end together. Then we stopped real quick while I downed some water and had a gu packet and we were on our way again. The second loop was pretty much like the first. I started out strong with them..and then slowly started to trail behind. I was at a reasonable distance until halfway through around mile 3 or 2.5 (really 8 to 9.5). At that point, my knee started to hurt and I suddenly realized that I hadn't stopped to stretch my right knee once throughout the run, and I usually have to do that around mile 6. It started to feel really tight and I thought I really had to stop and stretch it out. So..I stopped to take care of that and before I knew it, Ben and Mal weren't even in site in front of me.

At that point..I had a little over 2 miles left and I just figured..just get the heck through this. I put on Beyonce's "I am Sasha Fierce" and finished out in my own little world. It was perfect that the very last song as I rounded the last half mile was "All the Single Ladies" which is just great to run to! They doubled back again to meet me for the very last 2 minutes of the run. 

I really wasn't discouraged today. Because...for me, it's about finishing it and I KNOW that 11 miles is impressive and the mere fact that I did it and that I'll do it again is great! BUT I can't help but feel a little disheartened that I couldn't keep up. My body just wasn't built to be a great runner (and I eat too much food)..but I'm very grateful that I can run and that I still did this entire 11 mile run in 1 hour and 45 minutes...with stops!!  I have one more long run this weekend before the actual race...so I think it'll be a good "get in my zone" run by myself this Sunday.

I know why I couldn't keep up with them though. At one point I said:
"Maan I realllly shouldn't have had that diet coke and greek salad at the bar last night"  At least I keep my sense of humor through long runs!!


I was probably more tired Sunday night that I have been in a LOOOONG Time...Chris and I went in the Hot Tub when we got back to NY which was glorious..but between the lack of sleep from my exciting weekend, my 11 mile run, sitting in a car for 4 hours then the hot tub..I was pretty much a vegetable. I face-planted into bed by 10:30 and slept like a BRICK.


Miles Run today: 11
Total Miles Run for 2010: 241.25

No comments:

Post a Comment